(HealthDay News) -- Every 11 seconds, an elderly person is taken to the hospital for a fall-related injury, says the U.S. National Council on Aging.
Though the number is staggering, most falls are preventable, the council says.
The council encourages elderly people to:
- Find a balance and exercise program.
- Speak with a health care provider.
- Regularly review your medications and note side effects.
- Get your vision and hearing checked annually.
- Keep your home safe.
- Enlist the support of family members.