(HealthDay News) -- More than 30 million Americans need help dealing with their feelings and problems, says the American Psychological Association. From the loss of a job to the death of a loved one, these stressful events can be debilitating and require outside help.
The APA mentions important questions to ask when choosing a psychologist:
- Are you a licensed psychologist? How many years have you been practicing?
- I have been feeling "x" and I'm having problems with "y." What experience do you have in helping people with these types of problems?
- What are your areas of expertise?
- What kinds of treatments do you use? Have they been proven effective?
- What are your fees?
- What types of insurance do you accept?