(HealthDay News) -- Mold exposure can trigger health problems including asthma, respiratory infections and allergic reactions. Mold can grow on virtually any moist surface and should never be ignored.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency suggests how to prevent mold and how to get rid of an existing problem:
- Fix plumbing leaks and other water issues as soon as possible. Dry all surfaces completely.
- Scrub mold from hard surfaces with detergent and water, and dry completely.
- Absorbent or porous materials, such as ceiling tiles and carpet, may have to be thrown away if they become moldy.
- Clean up any mold and dry surfaces thoroughly before painting. Paint applied over moldy surfaces is likely to peel.
- If you are unsure about how to clean mold off an item of special value, consult a specialist.