(HealthDay News) -- Your pet will depend on you even more during an emergency, so you should always have an emergency kit to prepare for the unexpected.
The American Red Cross says the kit should include:
- A sturdy leash, harness or carrier to transport a pet safely and prevent escape.
- Food, drinking water, bowls, cat litter and a litter pan.
- Medication and copies of medical records stored in a waterproof container.
- A first-aid kit.
- Current photos of you with your pet, in case the pet is lost.
- Information on feeding schedule, medical conditions, behavior problems and contact information for your veterinarian, in case you have to board your pet.