(HealthDay News) -- Back pain is one of the most common medical issues in the United States, says the National Institutes of Health.
Short-term back pain lasts no longer than six weeks, and can be uncomfortable if untreated.
To treat short-term back pain, the NIH suggests:
- Use hot or cold packs to soothe a sore, stiff back.
- Try extension or aerobic exercises. But check with a doctor first.
- Incorporate stretching into your daily routine.
- Include calcium and vitamin D in your diet, to help keep your spine strong.
- Take acetaminophen, aspirin or ibuprofen to ease pain.